Friday, September 22, 2006

Setting the world on fire, bit by bit

I finished all the tests, and I'm not glowing, yayyy!

So the good news is that it's not all in my head, and I'm not crazy, something is actually going on.

The bad news is that something is really going on.

I haven't spoken to the real Doc, so I don't have anything definitive, but the nuclear medicine lab guy cheated and told me that I'm definitely showing as hyperthyroid.

This is good news because for the last 2 years or so I can blame every bitchy thing I've ever done on my hyperthyroid personality. The bad news is that every bitchy thing I did before that in my life can only be blamed on me, hehe.

On the RAIU test with Iodine 123, my uptake at 2 hours was 15.5%, and my uptake at 24 hours was 38.6%, using their machines is hyperthyroid. (Apparently all machines are different, and they have to calculate things based on weight, meds, etc. so I don't know if this applies to anyone else...) But the weird thing was my scan which instead of showing a lovely nice butterfly shape, all evenlyish colored, had the most screwed up shape and colors. The bit in the middle wasn't faded at all, like its supposed to be, and one wing was pointed so far up I'm wondering if my thyroid is tickling my ear. Some bits were bright white and others were light grey, almost dark. This does not look like the "normal thyroid" photos on the web.

The assistant didn't say it was sick-looking, but he didn't say it was normal either. Y'know when they try to tap dance around, and you know they weren't supposed to show you anything, but really they end up telegraphing everything?

And get this, because I needed to have ended taking the beta blockers my gp prescribed earlier than I did, my TSH, T3, and T4 blood tests done the day before were normal, yet the more advanced tests showed a problem.

So, I no longer trust TSH values, that's for sure.

I keep thinking that this is it, my baby dreams might be over. If I really have a screwed up thyroid, they might tell me I need to use radioactive ablation, and I might not be able to try again for a really really long time, maybe a year.

Which will make me 39, and my two boys, 11 & 7. Talk about risks for me and age differences if I did get pregnant. I'm glad I might feel better soon, but why couldn't it be a faster cure?

If any lurkers out there see this and have any ideas or nice thoughts, I could really use a comment or two.

1 comment:

  1. Your feeds must've been offline, because I'm just now reading this (on Wednesday).

    You made me giggle at the thought of blaming bitchiness on your thyroid.

    When will you get answers from the doctor?

    ReplyDelete