Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Yes, I'm coming out...be gentle

No, I'm not lesbian, except for my occasional desire for a wife who will help me take care of the kids and house! And maybe go shopping...

But I am a member of the Liberal Party of Canada.

There, I said it....and so far no lightening bolts...ha ha.

I've been a member for many years, I joined as a Young Liberal in University and have now campaigned for hundreds of candidates. But I hesitated to talk about it here, because every time I've tried to discuss my personal fertility issues with anyone political, they would freak out, back away, and generally act pathetically.

Even if they were currently the Minister or MP with a portfolio that concerned this issue!

This of course, makes me nuts, since I have never lobbied politicians to do things for some big corporate business interest, and I've always busted myself to help the party when it needed it.
So, when I've tried to get some attention for the cause of infertility, miscarriage, stillbirth, or just maternal-infant health, I've been mighty disappointed in the people who failed me.

Also, I've hesitated because the one venue the Liberals have at the moment to use as a blog circle, Liblogs , seems to be populated by large numbers of young, single men, who have no kids and no concept of the problems parents have. This does seem to be changing though, and damn that makes me happy! Yes, Virginia, there's more to life than beer....

Anyway, for those of you who don't know, the Liberal Party is running a leadership race, and I'm hoping to get elected as a delegate to the convention. A few of the candidates I definitely can't stand, and one I really like, but I'm not sure if I'll support him. And time is running out to choose. The trouble is, that with 10 of them, there really are too many to pick from at this point...and no I probably won't declare on this blog ever because I like my anonymity.

It's a valuable thing for a woman who has had to have a medical termination to save her own life. Many pro-lifers out there still believe in violence as retribution, and I can't risk the lives of the kids I've got, as I wrote before.

I've thought about this, and I've done up a survey to give out to various candidates on what things they would do to help us, and make our lives a little easier as mothers, mothers-to-be, and the aspiring, and adopting. By email, I've asked a few of you to give me some ideas, and you have, so I'll post it tomorrow, and you can let me know if anything is missing. Then we'll see what the candidates have to say in response. (And the candidate I like better come up with some good replies....or else I'll be very ticked!)

Why bother? Because I know some of the candidates personally, and many of them and their families have struggled with these issues. They don't like to admit it in public, but just as Tertia said, "Don't they owe something to the sisterhood?" (Or the brotherhood, as the case may be....)

Yeah, they do, and I'm tired of the BS on this one....

No comments:

Post a Comment