Thursday, January 18, 2007

Covering my tracks

My brown/grey roots are showing. I'm getting them reblonded today, so I'm off and running...and I'll be back this afternoon. (As an aside, why do people equate haircolour with brainpower? I hear that lots of politicians and actresses are going dark, so they'll look more "serious". That makes NO sense to me. )

Just had an odd experience and I wanted to share it. I've had some hits on my Statcounter from an Australian forum on birthing, but I had never heard of it. When I clicked the link, and it said I was denied access to the thread, all my red flags went up. The last two months have been a little paranoia inducing I'm sure you would agree! Anyway, after emailing them and poking around some, I found out that they are a well run forum, not a troll site at all, but I still couldn't get access to read what they were saying about me.

And then the light dawned...they have a private section for women who have been through losses, and for midwives, etc. to discuss those issues. That must be where the link is coming from, I assume. So, hopefully they are reading with a good heart and good intentions. And maybe taking something away for a worthwhile discussion?

I do wish I could see what they think though. And hey, if any of you reading this are from that forum, please email me or leave a comment to say hi. It will make me a little more trusting, really.

I did want to expand a bit on that midwife issue from Matthew's story. I do not believe that is how a typical midwife would act. I have been told that even after transferring care, she should not have left me on my own. But she, as an individual, did abandon me, and it doesn't do any good to whitewash the situation, right?

Unless we're whitewashing the roots of my hair!

(Yes, I'm trying to find some humour in the situation. Work with me people!)

4 comments:

  1. Remember, just because you're paranoid...

    Not very reassuring is it? So sorry. And, when it comes to what other people say about you, well, just think of the good things, the funny things, and the compassionate things. The rest isn't worth your time or energy. You are, by far, one of my favorite bloggers.

    Oh, and when did you start dying your hair? I think I may have to start myself soon, and I am dreading it.

    Never understood the brain power association with hair color. All of the blonde women I know have a doctorate in one thing or another, not that the degree is a sure sign of intelligence but I'll take what I can get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few things:

    1. I think it's bad form to link to a personal blog post and not allow the author access to the discussion. But that's just me.

    2. I'm glad you brought up the midwife issue, because it's something that really bothers me. I'm a big advocate for improving maternity services by increasing access to midwifery, but this problem of continuity of care is something that, I think, discourages some women from choosing midwives.

    3. I'm glad to hear that I'm more likely to be taken seriously now that my hair has morphed from "dark blond" to "stupid grayish-brown." Yee-haw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel sorry that you had such a negative experience with that midwife. Was it a clinic/hospital that specialize in such births? Mine was and they were amazing. But I made sure they would be before. I practically insisted on it. But in general, I'm quite lucky here. France is a good like that.

    I'd be so curious about the Australian site. I'm sure its all positive. Would be nice if they at least let you read what they write about you. Bit cheeky of them in a way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I agree with Casey that it's bad form to link to a site and then deny access to the blogger being discusses. Being an Aussie, I think it's very unAustralian in spirit!

    ReplyDelete