Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Big Girl Panty Day!

I am soooo excited to be 40 today!

Mostly because I intend on buying myself a really nice purse, and some great shoes, haha. Not too excited about the wrinkles to come, but what the hell, they can match my stretchmarks.

Seriously, this next year I have vowed to do a couple of things. First off, to get my body back in some sort of shape. Not so much for the look, but for the strength and the bone-building. I'd like to look good, and I could just starve myself to skinny pretty fast, but the flabby thing has always been my problem. NO MORE. Next year, there will be a photo on this blog of a muscle. An actual honest to God big strong muscle. Not necessarily more than one, but at least one located somewhere on my body.

I am also going to get laser eye surgery next spring, which will freak me out totally, (bottle of Ativan anyone?) but a week ago the baby grabbed my glasses and flung them about, and I was blind and helpless until the nanny found them. Totally sucks being a -9.0 near-sighted. Time to change that.

We are in the process of planning the building/renovating our house and although that might be enough, I really think I also want to apply to go back to school. (If I apply now, I could go to the Big University in our city for Sept./09, a year away) Still percolating that one. Good thing: I would be a tax write-off for the house, and instead of working three jobs, & playing cards the rest of the day in the pub like I did back then, I would study occasionally. Bad thing: I would be the old lady in the class. Maybe too old?)

I am also considering jumping in to the fray again and advocating for grieving mothers. There's been some amazing progress recently, but there needs to be more. And the stronger I feel, the more I get done.

Meanwhile, time to shower, get dressed, and put on the big girl pants.

Forty is going to be a kickass year for me.

44 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! I turn the big 40 next month, so I'm happy to have company! Have fun celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!

    Can't wait to hear more about the purse you pick. Yes, I know I'm being materialistic. I just loove purses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy big girl pants, Aurelia...yay for forty and all you've got lined up. :)

    and about those wrinkles...damn. are yours still to come? mine moved in around 32 and seem to be well-settled.

    i will look forward to the muscle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! I hope you have a fantastic year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday!!!!

    Please please share pix of shoes and bags, please please!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woohoo!! Happy Birthday!! By the way you're never too old for studying!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday! Enjoy your gift shopping :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy, happy birthday to you! It is so nice to see someone excited & full of enthusiasm about the possibilities of 40+ for a change! (And no, you're not too old to go back to school, if that's what you want -- dh plans to do just that when he retires!) Have a great day -- do we get to see a pic of the purse & shoes??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday! I hope this will indeed be an awesome year for you. Looking forward to hearing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a wonderful birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday from a fellow August 12th baby!

    Hope 40 is all you wish it to be!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your enthusiasm :-)

    Never too old for study is right. I started my BA 24(!) years ago and I'm still studying (in all honesty, I've taken enough courses for 2 full degrees) and I'm going to finish someday, hopefully before Hadas graduates from high school (she's starting 10th grade). I am constantly amazed at how much easier it is for me to understand the material now than it was for me when I started out - at the (way too young) age of 16.

    Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy 40th Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. happy birthday!!!! i'm loving the plans for the year to come!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy 40th!

    (so far it's been a great number for me!)

    Oh, and most muscles come in pairs so I's suggest building two . . . otherwise you'll be a bit tippy.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy 40th!

    Yeah for your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday to you!
    Enjoy the shoppy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday Big Girl!

    I know you are going to kick some butt. Unfortunatly I will only be able to picture you in granny panties now...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy birthday. I'm 6 days behind you. Let me know that 40 is everything you've ever expected!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You rock. I'm going to be a sobbing pile on the floor (shades of the Wicked Witch) on my 40th. I doubt any purse could make me feel differently.

    Although one one might make it more tolerable, I suppose . . .

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The 40s RULE! Wishing you much happiness...

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You're still a whipper-snapper, you know.

    Happy, happy Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. A very happy birthday to you!

    I too have my get-my-body-back plan ready to go as soon as we're done with babies. If this kid shows up as planned, and I work hard, I might even make it just in time for my own 40th birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy Birthday, Aurelia! I hope the coming year brings many wishes come true!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy Birthday - have a fabulous day!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy birthday! Sounds like you've got a fabulous year lined up!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy Birthday A!! (umm, yesterday. Though I left a comment the day before yesterday, so I am just ending the big day.)

    As for going back to University... When I started my Masters at that very university I was 25 (it was a 3.5 year degree), the ages of the students in my class were 24- 42. I kid you not. It was a very small class, and we spent the years very close to each other. The age range did not make a difference. In fact if was so interesting what different things all of us brought to the table, be it in life experience and/or educational background.

    (However, if you are referring the the other big uni up north-where I did my undergrad- I think there are fewer, umm, mature students.)

    Good luck with that decision.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Happy Birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy Birthday! And I love the plans ;).

    ReplyDelete
  31. Happy Birthday! And I love the plans ;).

    ReplyDelete
  32. Happy Birthday.
    Hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oooo, I like all of these plans. So much to look forward to! Happy Birthday my dear! And, as far as being the old one in the class, I think it has more advantages than being the young one.

    ReplyDelete
  34. It sounds like you have it all worked out. Happy 40th birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Belatedly wishing you a GREAT 4-0!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Happy (belated) birthday! Sure sounds like a kick-arse year to me. What great plans! Can't wait to see it unfold.

    Bea

    ReplyDelete