Monday, November 10, 2008

This could be hilarious, or not

I have had an anxiety ridden week, and today didn't help. I spent the morning trying to get the final reports for the kid's schools. (For that much freakin' money, you'd think typos would be verboten, no? Guess not.) My nanny called in sick at the last minute and Julius is teething and cranky and tired. Plus, I was still recovering from my overindulgence Saturday night at a friends' cocktail party, which is a hell of a story actually.

I had only had a glass or twoish to drink and was gossiping and laughing and enjoying myself until I made the mistake of talking politics with two young obnoxious Liberal types. After that conversation I HAD to get hammered.

Don't get me wrong, I was once a young Liberal, and I certainly had my moments, but honestly, these two were beyond reason.

First they were startled to hear that I knew their former political boss, since they figured I was some nobody mommy, and was good friends with a staffer they worked with, then----they actually had the fucking nerve to start putting down my friends job, acting like she was beneath them! Meanwhile, the friend in question is a hell of a lot more senior than them, and still employed there. Best part---when they lectured me on the job titles and responsibilities as if I was some moron who'd never stepped inside Queen's Park.

Such class. Amazing she's unemployed, eh?

It got better. I won't say which exact Leadership campaign they were with, but they were with either the Micheal Ignatieff campaign or the Bob Rae campaign. You guess. It will be difficult, you see both sides are once again pursuing a scorched earth policy in their desperation to win. The top guys themselves profess to be friends and are willing to vote for each other if the other falls off, but who's kidding who. Based on what I'm witnessing---these guys forgot to inform their devoted followers.

"Oh you can't vote for so and so, he's a [ insert hack hack hack, vicious dig, nasty rumour, shitty comment, mean-spirited name-calling ]."

As I told those two incredulous teenage louts, if you want my vote, you have to give me a reason to vote for your candidate. I will burn my ballot before I vote for someone who only hacks the other guy. We set up an entire leadership process based on everyone having to get along, because you want the other candidates second ballot support. Being nasty about your opponents is the surest way to lose with this process, which by the way, is why they lost last time.

So once again, Iggy and Bob are going to screw themselves. Sigh---I am so sick of hearing about how they each deserve to win just because:

a. they have highbrow parents and grandparents and brothers and pedigrees (this one drives me round the bend. I just have this visceral reaction, and I start yelling, "You aren't better than me you fuckers") Not a logical reaction, but the one I can't get rid of. It likely stems from the whole bastard unmarried parents raised in poverty thing, but it could just be that I'm not an imperalist.)

b. they were supposed to win last time. (WTF? I missed the secret voting koolaid, sorry.)

c. if they had won leadership last time, then we would have won the election. (HAH, double HAH, the Tories had $30 million dollars to blow on ads and to hire the most vicious Republican campaign consultants money can buy, and honey, for $30 mill, those guys can make you think your own grandmother is a serial killer. It will happen to everyone who runs. Except Jesus. By-the-by, did I tell you the rumour that Mary wasn't really a virgin? New ad: Alleged Terrorist and insurrectionist Jesus Hussein Christ seen pallin' around with slutty teen. There are Youtube videos! P0rn!)

d. They "look like" Prime Ministers. (Umm, I think Obama may be rewriting that rule dudes.)

Anyway, I can actually forget all this and move on, if any of the leadership candidates, Bob or Iggy, or whomever runs, can tell me why I should vote for them in the future. Like, screw the past, what have you done for me lately?

Like are any of them willing to pull an Obama and put forth a bill on Stillbirth Research and data gathering? Considering we have some of the poorest statistics gathering on maternal-fetal health in the world it might be reasonable to say--count them. We count cancer tumours and bacteria through public health. We track them like mad. But pregnancy loss? Oh no, must keep head in sand. Barack Obama, in the middle of running for President, sponsored that bill in the Senate. He isn't afraid of deadbaby mamas.

So maybe this time, when I pitch each and every one of the candidates on infertility and pregnancy care and maternal infant fetal health, they could stop and think and respond a little. Instead of running away freaking out, "Ahhhhh, dead baby lady, ahhhhhhhh" I mean, it's not infectious.

Anyway, this should be an interesting ride. Convention is in May, in Vancouver. At minimum, I'm going to get to meet some of my fave bloggers. I'll keep you all updated about the reactions I get to my pitches.

I can see it now, "Hi, I'm Aurelia, and if you want my vote, we have to talk about vaginas, and I'm sorry to say, not in the fun way." Yep, they'll be lining up to see me, hehe.

4 comments:

  1. Hi. I just found your blog reciently, although I have been reading over at shoegoddess for a while, so I kinda feel like I've known you for a while.

    Must say, SO NICE to read a blog about Canadian politics! And nice to read a strong woman who isn't afraid to say what's on her mind!

    I was brought up consertive, but reciently joined the Green party. lol, I know, I'm an oximornon, green environment views, consertive economic views.

    I look forward to reading more and getting to know more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jackie,

    Welcome! I'm glad to meet you, although I am sad that our mutual friend Manuela is not blogging anymore. :(

    And I don't find it to be strange that someone green might be a conservative. People like who they like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear the US is not the only country with political crazies. I'm with you. I need a reason to vote for someone, not just because the other candidate is cr@p. I'd have a few more drinks after that conversation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. at this point, there is no real leadership to vote for period. the liberals are digging a giant hole and throwing themselves into it.Harper scares me and the NDP can go to sweden with their crap.
    I agree with you Aurelia, as someone who lost a baby recently - it sucked big time and was a giant fight to get proper care. *why are early pregnancy loss clinics on the maternity wards?* change that damn policy!!

    hope you feel better soon :o)

    ReplyDelete